About Nebraska's New Vote ID Law

Submitted by Walthill on

Nebraska's new voter ID law (LB514) requires all registered Nebraska voters to present a photo* identifrication (ID) when voting in an election in Nebraska.

*ID must include name and photo

Voter ID begins with the May 2024 primary

Every election in Nebraska after the May 2024 primary will require voter ID.

Photo IDs:

  • Nebraska driver's license (from DMV)
  • Nebraska state ID (from DMV)
  • Nebraska college ID (public or private)
  • Nebraska political subdivision ID (state, county, city, school, etc.)
  • United States Passport
  • Military ID
  • Tribal ID
  • Hospital, assisted-living facility or nursing home record

ID must have your name and photo. ID can be expired.

How voter ID will work:

  • Voting in person at the polls: Present a photo ID or vote provisionally.
  • Voting early at the election office: Present a photo ID or vote provisionally.
  • Voting early by mail: Write driver's license/state ID numberon ballot application or enclose a copy of photo ID or reasonable impediment certification with your ballot application.
  • Voting in by-mail prcecincts or by-mail special elections: Writed driver's license/state ID number on ballot return envelope or enclose a copy of photo ID or reasonable impediment certification in your ballot return envelope.

Active-duty military members, active-duty military spouses, and citizens overseas covered by UOCAVA (Uniformed & Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act) are exempt from voter ID.

If you forget your ID, you will fill out a provisional ballot. For you ballot to count, you will need to present a photo ID to your county election office on or before the Tuesday after the election.

If you don't have an ID, you can get a state ID for free (for voting purposes) from the Nebraska DMV. You will need to bring certain documents to get a state ID, so check with the DMV website ahead of your visit.

If you need a copy of your birth certificate to get a free state ID, you can get a free certified copy of your Nebraska birth certificate from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. This is only available if you do not have an ID and need a state ID for voting purposes.

If you cannot get an ID due to disability/illness, religious objection to being photographed, or lack of documents to obtain a free state ID, you can complete a reasonable impediment certification.

Visit VoterID.Nebraska.gov for more information.

The Village of Walthill is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Equal Opportunity Employer.