The ordinance posted below regarding dog impoundment was approved by the Village Board of Trustees at the January 6, 2021 regular board meeting.
Please know two things:
1) The Village already has ordinances in place regarding dog impoundment and are presently in effect with this recent passage making changes to what we currently have.
2) The changes will become effective Friday January 22, 2021.
ORDINANCE NO. 2021-1
AN ORDINANCE OF THE VILLAGE OF WALTHILL, NEBRASKA, PERTAINING TO DOG IMPOUNDMENT; REPEALING ANY AND ALL ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS CONFLICTING HEREWITH; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS the Village of Walthill, Nebraska continues to experience ever-increasing problems with dogs that pose a danger to citizens, dogs running at large, unlicensed dogs, and a seemingly increasing population of dogs, and the Chairperson, Board of Trustees, and police department of the Village receive repeated complaints from citizens about these issues;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE CHAIRPERSON AND BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE VILLAGE OF WALTHILL, NEBRASKA:
Section 1. Dog Impoundment
(1) Except as provided in subsection (5) herein, with respect to any dog violating the provisions of this article, it shall be the duty of any Village police officer, animal control officer, and all other Village officials so designated to capture, secure, and remove the dog to the designated Village animal shelter or impound. Such animal shelter or impound shall be of a type that treats its dogs in a humane manner and provides them with a sufficient supply of food and fresh water each day. When warranted, the police officer, animal control officer, or other designated official may transport the dog to a veterinarian clinic for any medical attention that may be required.
(2) Each impounded dog shall be kept and maintained at such shelter or impound for a period of not less than 48 hours, unless reclaimed earlier by the owner.
(3) Any dog may be reclaimed by its owner during the period of impoundment by paying a general impoundment fee of $50.00 for the first instance of impoundment, $150.00 for the second instance of impoundment, and $200.00 for the third instance of impoundment; after the fourth instance of impoundment, the Village shall acquire legal title to the dog. In addition, the owner shall pay any costs incurred for housing the dog at the shelter, impound, or a veterinarian clinic. In the event the dog does not have a rabies vaccination certificate, the owner shall pay to have the dog vaccinated with rabies and shall pay any impoundment fees incurred pursuant to this section prior to release of the dog to the owner. An additional fee of $15.00 per day shall be applied to the owner for each day the dog is impounded by the Village, payable prior to release of the dog to the owner. If the dog has not yet been licensed with the Village, the owner shall also pay the necessary licensing fees, prior to the release of the dog to the owner.
(4) If the dog is not claimed, the Village shall acquire legal title to the dog, after which time the Village shall dispose of the dog by adopting it out or humanely euthanizing it.
(5) Provided, however, this section does not apply to dogs that are rabid or dogs that are "dangerous" as defined in the Village Code.
Section 2. Any and all ordinances and resolutions in conflict herewith are repealed.
Section 3. This Ordinance shall become effective upon its reading, passage, and publication according to law.
PASSED AND APPROVED this 6th day of January, 2021.
__________________________ ATTEST: __________________________
Michael Grant Lisa Beaudette
Board Chair Village Clerk/Treasurer